Dan was born in Queensland Australia where his parents managed a small cattle property. Dan first sat on a horse at 6 weeks old, which was to begin a lifelong passion for horses. Dans first few years were to be spent riding the family milking goat and it wasn’t until he was 10 yrs old that he got his first pony. He broke in his first horse at 14yrs of age exciting his hunger to understand and learn more about the ways and thinking patterns of the horse.
From Longreach Pastoral College Dan travelled the world to gain knowledge and experience working with horses. He travelled to Hokkaido Japan where he spend several months breaking horses, then to Celina Texas USA working for renowned cutting trainer Punk Carter. On returning to Australia Dan then spent 6 years working on a 1.5million acre cattle station in WA – Liveringa Station. It is here that Dan was responsible for the breeding, breaking and general maintenance of up to 200 horses on the station. And it was here on the station that Dan developed his unique relationship with QH stallion “Outback Arafura” (aka Ari) and Stockhorse mare “Amelia”. The entertainment shows and clinics that Dan now conducts all started as a bit of fun entertaining guests on the station.
By 2008 Dan decided to leave the outback and find his audience – making his way south of WA performing and training at El Caballo Spanish horse centre. It was here he teamed up with Dan Steers and they developed an entertainment show to take on the road “Double Dan Horsemanship”
Dan is now based in Kentucky USA where he and his wife Elizabeth own and operate the Australian Equine Performance Centre which is the Double Dan Horsemanship base in the USA. Dan travels all around the USA, Canada & Europe doing clinics & shows, and visits Australia at least once a year to catch up with family and of course his Australian students and fans.
- 2008 - Won the “Way of the Horse” at Equitana Asia Pacific where his horse breaking skills were recognized as world class
- 2010 – Kentucky USA – World Equestrian Games – Dan Roman rode 2 Friesian horses in the opening ceremony before a worldwide crowd. Double Dan Horsemanship was also featured as clinicians throughout the games.
- 2011 – Double Dan Horsemanship was featured on Australia’s Got Talent. Dan and Dan received all Yes votes from the judges
- 2012 - Won the " Road To The Horse" International colt starting competition as a member of Team Australia
- 2013 – Mustang Millionaire Finalist, Top 5
- 2013 – Featured on TV series “Mustang Millionaire”
- 2014 – Kentucky Gold Cup Reining Freestyle Champion
- 2014 – Quarter Horse Congress Freestyle Champion
Looking forward – Dan’s aim is to continue to push the limits of horsemanship and entertainment, to provide both knowledge and understanding along with excitement with our great equine mates.
“For the love of horses “